DUNE

I am fond of the David Lynch film. It was my first introduction to the story, but I have since read most of the series and see the Lynch version as a feeble and incomplete interpretation. It's interesting that the article doesn't mention the Sci-Fi mini-series. I thought the mini-series was fantastic. There was some casting in the Lynch version that I preferred and I really like the Toto soundtrack, but overall the mini-series is so much closer to novel than Lynch's. This new film should be interesting. I'm not sure how they'll tell the whole story in one film.

New ‘Dune’ Director Pierre Morel Wasn’t Satisfied With David Lynch’s Movie; Has Big Plans


Dune

It hasn’t been long since Pierre Morel was hired to step in and direct the new film being based on the 1965 Frank Herbert novel, Dune. As you know,David Lynch was the director of a 1984 film of the same name that was based on the book, but don’t for one second think that this new movie has anything to do with that film — no, this is an entirely new interpretation of the story.

Morel spoke to MTV recently, where he was sure to explain his plans for this new venture.

The Taken director first explained that he was a big fan of the book, and that he really wasn’t happy with the ‘84 film:

Like many people, I was not fully satisfied with David Lynch’s movie in 1984. I do respect David, and I think his interpretation and vision was interesting, but not what we [fans] expected. And I thought I’d give it a chance, try to do this, make it faster and more modern. I think that now, in 2010, we have the technology to achieve much more than David could do twenty-five years ago. I think it will be cool to try something different.

After that, he got into the good stuff, discussing what he plans to change and why. Dune takes place 10,000 years from now, so Morel is concentrating on basic ideas now, like what to do with the clothing people will be wearing and the technologies we might see. We’ve all seen how films of the ’40s and 50’s perceived the “future” and, considering we’re in it right now and it looks nothing like they had it, you can imagine how difficult it will be to envision 10,000 years ahead.

Well, this is supposed to take place 10,000 years from now, so I wonder why people are still dressed like Captain Nemo. It feels very 19th century to me. I think the [character’s clothes] should be much more modern than that. That’s one thing [I’ll change]; that’s a basic thought.

We’ll try to figure out what things may look like 10,000 years from now; it’s all about reconfiguring the entire universe. Everything is going to be very different than [it is] now. And we know from the book that there’s no more computers, no thinking machines. So a lot of the technology is going to be different. We’ll be working with design concepts, futurists and scientists who will give us a vision of how technology may evolve with certain conditions. That might lead us to another vision of the future – it’s not David Lynch’s vision, it’s not ours either, but in-between.

Morel says that they’re starting completely over from whatever had been built when Peter Berg was set to direct, which includes rewriting the script. Even so, he hopes to be filming Dune next year, but it’s far too early to tell.

link

Comments

Popular Posts

Labels

Show more