Tuesday, June 19, 2012

True20

I'm currently running our group's round-robin Pathfinder game. So, by necessity, I've built my own enthusiasm for the d20 system and it's appropriate variants. In doing so I've revisited the good old True20 system and have fallen in love with it all over again.

It was not too long ago that Green Ronin officially declared True20 dead finished. They seem to be focusing on True20's cousin, Mutants and Masterminds as well as Dragon Age.

A recent conversation gave me a new perspective on games like this. It was stated that because of PDFs games cannot die. As long as someone is passionate about a game and there are people playing it, it's not dead. I like that idea. I guess this is the essence of the retro-clone movement. Still, there is something about new products coming out for the game you love.

And actually, there are new products for True20- of sorts. paNik Productions have recently released two adventures that are compatible with three RPG systems, and True20 is one of those. The Deadly Seven (which actually has an R rating!) and Caravan. So, technically, True20 still lives. Of course I'd love to see more. I won't complain about a little.

A minor thing that I really appreciate about the core products is the art direction. Green Ronin's art choice doesn't insult my intelligence like other and bigger RPG products. The art is not tits and ass and it isn't heavy with anime. For that small thing, I'm grateful.

While we're on the subject, I'll take this moment to shamelessly promote an old project- the True20 Wiki.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...